Enhancing Care for Ontario Care Partners
Looking for support for dementia carers in Ontario? Our provincial program is offered through multiple partners including the Alzheimer Society of Ontario, Geriatric Psychiatry Community Services of Ottawa, CMHA Fort Frances, and St. Joseph’s Care Group, Thunder Bay, among others.
Available in English and French
or in person
No fee for services or groups
Includes both adult children and spouses
Both CARERS and TEACH groups are offered in all locations across the province.
Coaching, Advocacy, Respite, Education, Relationship, Simulation
A skills based group for care partners of a person living with dementia. Learn practical skills, problem-solving techniques, communication methods, and more.
- Focuses on practical skills and emotional supports needed to care for people living with dementia
- Teaches problem solving techniques, a structured approach to address problems
- Coaches care partners in communication skills through the use of simulation
- Provides strategies for keeping a meaningful relationship with the person living with dementia
- 8 weekly sessions, 2 hours per session, maximum 6 care partners in group
Training, Education, and Assistance for Caregiving at Home
An interactive group for care partners of a person living with dementia. Discuss themes such as self-care and future planning while learning from other care partners.
- Focuses on common caregiving themes including:
- Healthcare System Navigation
- Relationship Changes
- Future Planning
- Coaches care partners in practical communication and coping skills
- Provides opportunity to share and learn from other care partners
- 4 weekly sessions, 1.5 hours per session, maximum 8 care partners in group